The Mission of The Women's Initiative is to provide effective counseling services, social support and education to empower women to transform challenging life situations into opportunities for renewed well-being and personal growth.
The Women’s Initiative is a leader in providing innovative, effective evidence-based mental health care to women, regardless of their financial means.
We believe every woman has a natural capacity for healing that once uncovered and directed, results in better mental and physical health. We believe it is critical to address each woman’s unique emotional, physical and spiritual needs.
We will provide a variety of services that promote a higher quality of life for women facing stressful life situations. We expect that women receiving our services will report that they have successfully:
- clarified personal values, needs, and goals
- built on personal strengths and resources to meet needs and achieve goals
- mastered skills that promote restorative relaxation, calm and confidence
- initiated life changes that lead to reduced stress and greater well being
Your Support Matters
News and Events
- Free One-on-one sessions with a Licensed HeartMath® Coach now being offered on Friday mornings! Please see our Workshops and Social Support Page for more information.
- Healthy Relationships Support Group to begin a new 8-week session starting March 4, 2015. Please see our Support Groups page for more information.
- Ingrid Ramos, LPC, our Bienestar Coordinator and Therapist, was recently interviewed by NBC29 about victims of abuse.
- Kirsten Franke, LCSW, our Clinical Services Director, was recently interviewed by NBC29 about the current increased demand for our services.
- The Women's Initiative seeks a Mental Health Therapist. Full and/or part time positions available. Please see our News & Publications page for more information.
- The Women's Initiative and the Charlottesville Free Clinic seek an Integrated Care Provider. Please see our News & Publications page for more information about this position.
- The Women's Initiative receives a grant from Verizon. Click here to see the video.
- Many thanks to this year's Challenge into Change Writing Contest entrants! This very moving award ceremony was held Sunday, October 26, 2 - 4 pm at the Jefferson School African American Heritage Center.