Local community RESOURCES
Jefferson School City Center
- The African American Heritage Center honors and preserves the rich heritage and legacy of the African-American community of Charlottesville/Albemarle.
- Carver Recreation Center
- Common Ground Healing Arts is committed to empowering the community to live a healthy lifestyle.
- JABA Mary Williams Community Senior Center
- Literacy Volunteers of Charlottesville/Albemarle (LVCA) provides one-on-one, confidential tutoring in basic literacy and English as a second language to adults living or working in Charlottesville and Albemarle County. Our talented tutors work closely with our students to help them succeed.
- Piedmont Family YMCA Child Care
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Sentara Starr Hill Health Center
- Sin Barreras is a grassroots organization formed by a diverse group of professionals who are dedicated to serving the needs of the Hispanic community and eventually expanding to address the needs of all immigrants in our area.
Mental Health Resources
- Community Mental Health & Wellness Coalition is a coalition of 15 agencies and 8 supporting agencies formed to improve awareness of mental health issues and to increase access to mental health services.
- Help Happens Here: a comprehensive referral source for affordable mental health services in our community
- On Our Own of Charlottesville
- Partner for Mental Health works to inform, advocate and enable access to quality behavioral health services for all Americans.
- Region 10 provides mental health, intellectual disability, crisis and substance use services for adults and children living in the City of Charlottesville and the counties of Albemarle, Greene, Fluvanna, Louisa and Nelson.
- UVA CAPS Center offers short-term individual, group, and couples therapy, psychiatric evaluation and medication monitoring, psychological assessment, and makes referrals to campus and community resources when appropriate.
- UVA Family Stress Clinic provides counseling services for individuals, couples or families experiencing a variety of difficulties and concerns in their lives, including anxiety, depression, child developmental or behavioral problems, job-related stress, family conflict or crisis and illness.
- UVA Northridge Psychiatry provides mental health care services, including initial evaluations and follow up care for major psychiatric diagnoses, including medication management.
Immigrant and Refugee Resources
- Creciendo Juntos exists as a network dedicated to building knowledge, sharing information, and seeking ways to collaborate and integrate across cultural divides.
- International Rescue Committee responds to humanitarian crises throughout the world and restores safety, dignity and hope to millions of individuals who have been uprooted and who are struggling to endure.
- Southwood Community
- Birth Matters Charlottesville is a Virginia-based nonprofit organization that shares information, provides support, and affirms the rights of women and families to make informed choices throughout the childbearing years.
- Department of Social Services is one of 120 local departments in Virginia's state-supervised, locally-administered public social services system. The Department is an agency of city government which administers federal, state, and local public assistance and social work service programs.
- Jefferson Area CHIP partners with families to create a nurturing home environment and to promote the health and well-being of children in our community.
- People Places is a Virginia-based nonprofit child welfare agency created to make healthy family living possible for troubled children who have been removed from their own homes
- ReadyKids is a local nonprofit that addresses the issues of poverty, child abuse and neglect, parenting, child care quality, teen and family conflict, and early learning.
Other Community Resources
- Albemarle and Charlottesville Public Schools
- Charlottesville Free Clinic is a nonprofit health support system that offers high-quality and compassionate care to the low-income uninsured in our community.
- Charlottesville Works Initiative
- Downtown Family Health Care
- Friendship Court Community
- The Jefferson Area Board for Aging (JABA) is committed to promoting, establishing and preserving sustainable communities for healthy aging that benefit individuals and families of all ages.
- Martha Jefferson Hospital has a singular mission: to improve the health of the community. Since its founding more than 100 years ago, Martha Jefferson has constantly evolved to meet the diverse healthcare needs of the patients who trust us with their care.
- Monticello Area Community Action (MACAA)'s goal is to improve lives by helping individuals become self-reliant.
- OAR (Offender Aid & Restoration) is a community-based restorative justice organization which blends compassion and accountability to assist offenders in leading productive and responsible lives, to the benefit of all.
- Parks Edge AHIP's mission is to ensure safe, affordable homes for our neighbors in need which strengthens families, neighborhoods and the greater community by improving the affordable housing stock.
- PFLAG Blue Ridge
- Salvation Army offers many services to our community to help those in need.
- Sexual Assault Resource Agency aims to eliminate sexual violence and its impact by providing education, advocacy and support to men, women and children.
- Shelter for Help in Emergency provides comprehensive services to women and children who are victims of domestic violence.
- The Women's Center @ UVA educates students in how to create change in self, community, and the world by providing programs and services that advocate gender equity.
- Thomas Jefferson Health District
- United Way-TJ Area seeks innovative approaches to address critical local issues and brings funding, advocacy and volunteerism to create better outcomes.
- Virginia Institute of Autism is a non-profit organization providing a day-school and other resources for families, educators and health professionals seeking services, training, or information about autism and evidence based interventions.
- UVA Medical Associates provides primary care medical services to young adults, adults, and geriatric patients.
- Victim Witness Program - The Charlottesville Victim/Witness Assistance Program is designed to ensure that victims and witnesses of criminal offenses will receive fair and compassionate treatment throughout the judicial process.
- Westhaven Community