Sister Circle Program
The Sister Circle program provides an array of mental health and wellness programs to reach and serve Black women and women of color.
In particular, Sister Circle aims to meet the unique needs of women of color in the following ways:
- Culturally responsive mental health counseling and treatment to heal culturally based trauma
- Social support groups that create safe and nurturing spaces for women to heal and build community
- Neighborhood-based education and outreach and collaboration with other agencies and communities
Current Groups & Events:
July is Minority Mental Health Month
The Sister Circle Program presents a month of healing offerings for women of color. Registration is required (except where noted). To register, call (434) 872-0047 x105 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stress Reduction Sessions, Friday, July 13 and Friday, July 27, 12-1 p.m., Sentara Starr Hill Health Center at the Jefferson School. Free.
- Yoga for Women of Color, Sunday, July 15, 2-3:15 pm. Gather and practice yoga in a safe and nurturing setting. Class includes postures accessible to all levels as well as time for exploring ways to use breath and meditation for wellbeing. Women are invited to stay after class to connect with other participants, share yoga resources and build community. Each class is offered on a donation basis; no one will be turned away for inability to pay. No pre-registration is necessary.
- Spa Retreat, Saturday, July 21, 2-3:30 pm, The Women's Initiative Main Office. Facials and/or pedicures from a Mary Kay consultant. Massages by Common Ground Healing Arts. Free.
- Sound Bath with Shawna Bass, Monday, July 23, 12:30-2 pm., The Women's Initiative Main Office. Come be bathed in healing sound waves that will help to bring you to a deep meditative state. Sound baths can be one of the most deeply healing and restorative ways to attain a deep state of relaxation. Our body and minds respond positively to the sound vibrations and resonance allowing us to release of stress, healthily lower blood pressure as well as heal at a deep molecular and emotional level. Pay what you can; no one will be turned away for inability to pay.