The Bienestar Program seeks to create a safe space for Latina women to find solutions to their problems by honoring their own truth. Through Bienestar, we offer a space of understanding and cultural humility, operating under the notion that our clients come from different countries, each with their own roots, customs and traditions, and that each person has a different way of facing life challenges.
Bienestar focuses on counseling and psychoeducational services for Latina women and their communities in the Charlottesville / Albemarle region, in the following ways:
- Workshops and presentations to the Latino community about stress management, mental health issues and parenting.
- Presentations to community providers regarding awareness of mental health issues among Latinos and how to overcome cultural barriers to engage this population in health services.
- Education and advocacy about mental health services for Latinos through CJ Mental Health Group.
- Grupo de Apoyo: Support group for Latina women dealing with depression, anxiety, and relationship issues.
- ReadyKids Parenting Mobile Program at Southwood: Throughout the school year ReadyKids offers a play group for parents and children under 5 years old. Bienestar offers a 30-minute session for the mothers attending the Parenting Mobile, providing parenting and stress management psychoeducation.
We offer a walk-in clinic on the second Tuesday of the month, 5:15 to 8 p.m., at Sin Barreras at the Jefferson School City Center. The main goals of this clinic are to offer support to Latinos dealing with mental health issues and to provide appropriate referral to community services. This clinic helps increase access to services by creating a first contact point with a grassroots organization, facilitating services in their native language, accommodating evening schedule and getting the service in a location where Latinos are accessing other services (one stop shop).
Throughout the year Bienestar participates in tabling events targeting the Latino population in Charlottesville, including:
- CJ Round Table
- Southwood Market Day
- Sin Barreras Help Fair
- Southwood Back to School Festival